Basic Food Handler - Food Safety - Short Course
Course Fee $75 | Existing Clients $65
SITXFSA005 - Use hygienic practices for food safety
The Hospitality and Food industry is BOOMING in Victoria and plenty of jobs are open for you to get experience and make your mark in a city that loves to eat and drink.
In Australia, it’s a legal requirement that anyone who handles, prepares or serves food as part of their job must be trained in food safety. The Food Handling short course is designed to meet that legal requirement, as well as protecting customers and food businesses from the sometimes lethal consequences of food safety incidents.
This nationally accredited food handling course, SITXFSA005 - Use hygienic practices for food safety, is your first introduction to the basics of food safety. This course will help you learn about the importance of safe food handling practices and your responsibilities when preparing or serving food in establishments such as cafes, fast food outlets, clubs, hotels or bars. Many hospitality employees use these skills in the workplace during the course of their daily activities, including cooks, chefs, caterers, kitchen stewards, kitchen hands, bar and food and beverage servers.
- Personal hygiene
- Safe food handling
- Preventing food contamination
- Preventing cross contamination
- Waste disposal
- How to identify food safety hazards
Things to know
- NATIONALLY RECOGNISED
- VALID IN VIC, QLD, WA, NT & SA
- NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
- 100% ONLINE DELIVERY
- PAPERLESS WORKPLACE OBSERVATION REPORT
- FOOD HANDLERS ACCREDITATION
Click on Enrol and Start Immediately!
Complete Your Enrolment
This process usually takes 5-10 minutes at most.
Select Your Course
In this case it would be Food Handler - SITXFSA005 - XXXX Intake.
Make the necessary payment directly on the form.
Log Into Your Account
You will complete your course through this platform, so don't forget your password.
This course consists of 4 parts. As you finish a component, more will activate for your completion. It is structured in a learning sequence that will help you understand the course better. Utilize any available resources or support features for a smooth learning experience.
Progress at your own pace but aim to stay on track with any suggested timelines. Complete in 2 hours, a day or take your time.
You will have 3 months from the date of enrolment to complete your course - if you need an extension please call our offices 03 7020 2844.
You will receive a statement of attainment that is nationally accredited and is a pre-requisite for our food safety supervisor course.
- Follow hygiene procedures and identify food hazards.
- Report any personal health issues.
- Prevent food contamination.
- Prevent cross-contamination by washing hands.
The course should take approximately 2 to 4 hours to complete. It is possible to complete the course in one day, but you will have 3 months to complete the course.
You can save your progress and login as many times as you like.
There are no refunds if you do not complete the course within this time frame, but you can pay for an extension if you need more time.
Contact our office on 03 7020 2844 if you require more time.
1) You will complete an interactive Course Book that includes some short quizzes to test your knowledge. You will have access to up-to-date industry knowledge, presentation notes, powerpoints, resources and templates.
2) You will have access to an Observer's Report which requires finding a qualified observer/supervisor to confirm that you meet the requirements to pass this course. This evidence will be thoroughly examined as part of the your assessment process. By filling out the form, your nominated Observer/Supervisor will contribute to our understanding of the practical tasks you have executed.
When choosing and observer/supervisor to complete the report, please ensure they meet the following criteria to ensure they are a suitably qualified and experienced person:
Your supervisor must:
- Be currently in a role aligned with the course undertaken by you.
- Possess a minimum of 12 months of industry experience or its part-time equivalent.
- Have observed you executing tasks on multiple occasions and in accordance with the industry standards.
- Be confident that you have been adequately informed to carry out their work safely.
- Understand their role in the process, including the timing and methodology for collecting the necessary evidence.
For Observer's Report see: https://wts.assessapp.com/webforms/150936/new.
3) You will then complete short series of Commencement Questions to ensure you are knowledgeable in the aspects delivered in the Course Book.
4) Lastly, solidify your knowledge through completion of a Workbook that will ask you to demonstrate your competency by answering various questions, uploading videos.
All evidence may be further assessed by our qualified trainers/assessors and you may be contacted if deemed insufficient.
- Full name (please enter your legal name correctly as this is the name that will be printed on your certificate)
- Date of birth (the government requires this information)
- Valid email (to create your profile in our Student Portal - you will be using this account to complete your short course) - Photo ID
- USI number
Payment through our portal at the end of the enrolment form of Enrolment Fee $75.